If you aspire to be a nurse, it is very vital that you study nursing as a course in an accredited Nigerian university. Nurses are vital in the medical profession as they offer assistance to doctors in attending to sick patients thereby saving lives in the process. There is no major hospital in Nigeria or in the world where you will not find nurses.
In Nigeria, for you to be qualified as a practicing nurse, there are two methods. Its either you apply to any university offering nursing degree in Nigeria which normally takes five years or you attend a School of Nursing which is the more easier option if you are not successful in gaining admission into any institution offering nursing as a course in Nigeria
Requirements for Admission into any Top School of Nursing in Nigeria
For you to get admitted or even admission into any top nursing school in Nigeria, you must have finished your education at secondary school level. You would also be expected in your NECO or WAEC to have at least 5 credit in the following subjects: Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, English, Physics and Health Science as the case may be.
Getting admission into a nursing school requires you to have finished your secondary school education and that you were able to pass at least 5 subjects at credit level in your WAEC or NECO at not more than 2 sittings. The subjects include English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology or Health Science.
Unlike universities in Nigeria where you would have to spend five years to study Nursing as a degree, School of Nursing are post-secondary school institutions in Nigeria where you would go for training if you aspire to be a nurse. It takes a period of 3 years to complete your training after which you become a certified nurse in Nigeria when you graduate from the Nursing school.
Below is a list of approved nursing schools in Nigeria that are considered as the best in the country and have been accredited, their location and website.
1. Basic School Of Nursing, Federal Teaching Hospital. This nursing school is located at Abakaliki, Ebonyi. Their website is http://www.sonfetha.com/
2. Mater School of Nursing is located in Ebonyi State. Their website is www.matersomn.org. You can reach them via their email at [email protected] Their telephone number is 08063267858.
3. School of Nursing Joint Hospital which is located in Mbano in Imo state. The nursing school address is at the Joint Hospital Mbano, P.O.Box 123, Umuduru Isiala Mbano, Imo State Nigeria. You can visit their website at www.sonmbano.org and send them an e-mail at [email protected] Their phone number is 08039450698.
4. ECWA School of Nursing, Egbe is located in Kogi State. This is another top school of nursing that offers quality training. Their website is at http://www.esonegbe.net/eportal/index.php while their e-mail address is [email protected]
5. School of Nursing, Ogbomoso which is located at Ogbomoso, Osun State. The location of the school is at School of Nursing Bowen University Teaching Hospital (BUTH) P. O. BOX 15, Ogbomoso. You can visit their website at www.bowensonogbomoso.com or mail them at [email protected] Their phone number is 07063749966 and 08035248406.
6. Ondo State School of Nursing is located at Akure in Ondo State. You can locate them at their address at PMB 675 Igbatoro Road Akure, Ondo State. The website of this nursing school is www.sonak.org. 08060598781 and 08155082970 is their phone number.
7. Oyo state College of Nursing and Midwifery is located in Oyo State. You can visit their website at http://www.oyostatecollegeofnursingandmidwifery.com
8. FCT School of Nursing Located in Abuja, Nigeria. Her address is FCT School of Nursing, Gwagwalada in Abuja. Their website is at http://www.fctson.net. For inquiries about this school, you can contact them via their phone number at 08030756430.
9. School of Nursing in Sokoto state is located at Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital Located in Sokoto. Their website is at http://www.uduth.org.ng/nursing.php.
10. School of Nursing Birnin Kebbi is located in the Birnin area of Kebbi State. You can reach them via telephone number: 07037730280 and 08036311379.