Do you want to travel to the United States and are looking for the U.S Embassy in Nigeria, then you are the right page. You should be aware that the United States of America currently has two mission offices in Nigeria that has different functions.
One is located in Abuja while the other is in Lagos. See contact details for US mission offices in Nigeria Below:
U.S Consulate General, Lagos
2, Walter Carrington Crescent,
Victoria Island, Lagos
For Inquires, call: 01-263-5397
U.S Embassy, Abuja
Embassy of the United States Of America,
Plot 1075, District Drive,
Central District Area, Abuja.
For Inquires call: 09-461-4000
Brief History of the US Embassy in Nigeria (Updated, 2017)
The American Embassy is as old as Nigeria herself as the U.S Embassy was established in Nigeria officially on 1st of October 1960. This highlighted the beginning of the Nigerian-American cooperation which was highlighted in a message from the Secretary of State Christian Herter.
The first American Ambassador to Nigeria Joseph Palmer was appointed 23rd of September, 1960 but waited till the inauguration day before full operation commenced. He presented his letter of appointment to the Head of State on the 4th of October 1960 which was three days after Nigeria’s independence.
The then President of the United States, Dwight D. Eisenhower also sent a message to the Prime Minister of Nigeria, Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa that same October 1960 still highlighting the great ties between both countries.
For sake of history, we have compiled a list of the representatives of the American Government (i.e the ambassadors) from October 1960 till date
- Joseph Palmer: September 23, 1960 – January 16, 1964
- Elbert G. Mathews: March 10, 1964 – July 26, 1969
- William C. Trueheart: September 19, 1969 – September 1, 1971
- John Reinhardt: September 30, 1971 – February 23, 1975
- Donald B. Easum: March 26, 1975 – October 15, 1979
- Stephen Low: September 20 1979 – July 4, 1981
- Thomas R. Pickering: October 26, 1981 – July 9, 1983
- Thomas W.M Smith: February 10, 1984 – May 5, 1986
- Princeton Nathan Lyman: September 12. 1986 – July 24, 1989
- Lannon Walker: October 10, 1989 – July 10, 1992
- William Lacy Swing: June 15, 1992 – September 22, 1993
- Walter C. Carrington: August 10, 1993 – October 7, 1997
- William H Twaddell: November 10, 1997 – August 3, 2000
By 15th of September 2000, the US Embassy was later transferred to Abuja from Lagos. This ushered a new reign at the Embassy. Ambassador Howard Franklin Jeter was appointed on the 28th of December 28, 2000 to head the office at Lagos, until 30th July, 2003.
After him came Donald Steinberg who took charge until 2004. The following list of the ambassadorial appointments from 2004 till date is shown below:
- John Campbell: 2004 – July, 2007
- Robin Renee Sanders: December 3, 2007 – 2010
- Terence P.McCulley: 2010 – 2013
- James F. Entwistle: 2013 – 2016
- Stuart Syminton: September 28, 2016 till date.