Its no news that most Nigerians would like to join the Nigerian Navy as a graduate and so they rush to their recruitment website and fill the naval application form without knowing the requirements to join Nigerian Navy.
Well, this article will help clarify and teach you the recruitment process on how to be a naval officer. You should be aware that to have a career in Nigeria’s Navy, there exist unequaled career opportunities, experiences, and quite difficult challenges that would help you realize your potential and improve your very skill in the service to Nigeria no matter the course of study.
Although, during the application process of joining the Nigerian Navy for DSSC, which is normally open for graduates that have completed their degree and have done their NYSC Youth Service, not all courses are usually listed on the Navy’s website as recruitment into the Nigeria Navy depends on the vacant spaces available after senior officers in the organization retires.
In joining the Navy as a graduate, there are some certain requirements you must be eligible of. See them below
Important Requirements to Join the Nigerian Navy
- You must be a Nigerian Citizen
- You must meet some certain physical, mental, and psychological training i.e be physically, mentally and medically fit.
- Fall within the age bracket of 18-24 (subject to change, depending on type of recruitment)
- For males, a height of 1.7m while for females, a height of 1.67m.
- Be a literate and have certain educational qualifications.
- You would have to pass the Nigerian Navy Aptitude test and series of interviews conducted at different stages.
- Pass the medical screening.
From the above requirements, you can see that the Navy do not admit feeble minded people into its base. You would have to make sure that you are physically fit so as to endure the rigorous military training you would receive, if you are shortlisted. You also have to be medically fit, be of a certain height to join the Nigerian Navy.
Please note that money is not needed to buy anything such as scratch cards, pins etc that most online portals say you should buy. They will defraud you of your money and the Nigerian Navy won’t be held responsible. Be wise.
How to apply as a Naval Officer as a Graduate
- If you feel that you are an eligible graduate, then I believe you are qualified to join the Nigerian Navy.
- Go to their official recruitment portal which is joinnigeriannavy.com.
- Check if your course of study is listed among the requirements
- Create your username and password on the website which you would use in registering your data.
- You would be presented with some forms which you are to complete. Be honest as you fill the form which will serve as a data base for you if you qualify finally. Also note that if your information is false and you are caught you will be prosecuted according to the law. Make sure the information you provide is correct.
- Upon your submission of your form online, you would be required to print all documents out including attestation forms, consent forms, guarantor’s form, form filled by your Local Government Chairman, Traditional ruler e.t.c. All these you will take to the Navy recruitment centers when the dates of the Nigerian Navy Aptitude test are released online.
- Report to the Navy exam centers with copies of the following documents: Birth certificate, guarantors form, parent consent form, local government identification form, educational documents, certificates with photocopies.
- Do not submit your original documents unless you are requested to do so which is rare. Most people made this mistake and are regretting it terribly.
If you really want to join the Nigerian Navy as a graduate or as a seaman, Make sure you study about the ranks in the Nigerian Navy, their functions, history e.t.c and the sky will surely be your limit. Good luck