Lionel Messi is on the verge of making history for his club in all competition as he is to make his 500th appearance for FC Barcelona when they take on Real Betis this Wednesday.There is no doubt that the 28-year-old has been successful throughout his career at the Camp Nou career since making his debut in 2004 for the club and is still on the verge of winning a fifth Ballon d’Or next month.
Nigerian Infopedia takes a look at the stats of Lionel Messi’s success ahead of the Messi making history this evening:
- Lionel Messi has played 499 matches for FC Barcelona in all competitions and have scored 424 goals in the process with an average of 0.85 goals per game.
- His best season on goals came during the 2011-12 season where he topped La Liga’s scoring charts with 50 goals plus 14 goals in the Champions League, amassing a total of 73 strikes in all competitions.
- Messi has scored in 266 club matches in total.
- At the Camp Nou, Messi has scored 236 of his goals while scoring 174 at away matches with 14 goals at neutral grounds.
- Lionel Messi has scored more in the “El Classico” than any other player, 12 goals. Enjoying himself at the Santiago Bernabeu, home of their eternal rivals, Real Madrid.
- At away venues, he has scored 11 times at the Vicente Calderon, home to title contenders, Atletico Madrid.
- Messi has played his 499 matches under five coaches, making the most of appearances under Pep Guardiola (219 matches) while the least was under Gerardo Martino (46 matches).
- Of his 499 games for Barcelona, Messi has been victorious in 349 matches to date. He has been more successful under his current boss, Luis Enrique. His worst record was under his fellow Argentine, Tata Martino.
- Messi has spent a total of 39,670 minutes on the pitch in his 499 matches.
- Messi holds the record of 91 goals in a calender year which he did in 2012.
- He has a total of 159 assists in his 499 games breaking Lious Figo record of 105 in February 2015.
- Finally, Barcelona has won 26 trophies with the aid of Lionel Messi’s brilliance. They include- seven La Liga titles, four Champions League cups, three Copa del Rey trophies, six Spanish Super Cups, three Uefa Super Cups and three Club World Cup in his 499th appearance for FCB.