We previously listed all 36 state governors in Nigeria. This post will specifically list all APC State Governors currently in Nigeria.
Before we delve into the names of APC state governors in Nigeria, note that the APC won 24 states in the last general election which makes them the current ruling party in Nigeria while the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) won 11 states.
The Nigerian constitution stipulates that “A person shall be eligible for the office of State Governor in Nigeria if he or she is a citizen of Nigeria by birth, or at least 35 years of age, and should be a member of a registered political party that is recognized by law of the land.
A political party is a platform by which group people, who share the same ideology about the way a particular country should be governed come together to seize power during an election.
In Nigeria, there are currently 29 recognized registered political parties this 2016 according to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). APC, PDP, ANPP, KOWA e.t.c are some of the major political parties in Nigeria.
The full meaning of APC is All Progressive Congress and its slogan is “CHANGE”. The current national chairman of the All Progressive Congress (APC) is Adams Oshiomole.
The constitution limits these Nigerian state governors to only two terms of four-year terms in office.
Below is a compiled list of the 24 All Progressive Congress state governors in Nigeria currently.
List of 24 APC State Governors in Nigeria
- Adamawa State, Jibrilla Jindow, APC.
- Bauchi State, Barrister Mohammed Abubakar, APC.
- Benue State, Samuel Ortom, APC.
- Borno State, Kashim Shettima, APC.
- Edo State, Godwin Obaseki, APC.
- Ekiti State, John OluKayode Fayemi, APC.
- Imo State, Owelle Rochas, APC.
- Jigawa State, Alhaji Badaru Abubakar, APC.
- Kaduna State, Nasirel Rufai, APC.
- Kano State, Umar Ganduje, APC.
- Katsina State, Aminu Masari, APC.
- Kebbi State, Atiku Bagudu, APC.
- Kwara State, Abdulfatah Ahmed, PDP.
- Lagos State, Akinwumi Ambode, APC.
- Nasarawa State, Umaru Al-Makura, APC.
- Niger State, Abubakar Sanu-Lulu Bello, APC.
- Ondo State, Rotimi Akeredolu, APC.
- Ogun State, Ibikunle Amosun, APC.
- Osun State, Alhaji Isiaka Gboyega Oyetola, APC
- Oyo State, Abiora Ajimobi, APC.
- Plateau State, Rt Hon Simon Lalong, APC.
- Sokoto State, Aminu Tambuwal, APC.
- Yobe State, Ibrahim Geidam, APC.
- Zamfara State, Abdul Azeez Abubakar, APC.
- Abuja F.C.T, Mohammed Bello
From the above names of APC governors in Nigeria, Ekiti state has recently conducted their election and strengthened their APC hold in it by replacing Ayodele Fayose with John OluKayode Fayemi. Ondo State also held elections which saw Rotimi Akeredolu of the All Progressives Congress win the election.
APC also won in Osun state as Gboyega Oyetola defeated Ademola Adeleke in the just concluded election
As earlier stated, APC governors are more in number because they are the leading party that won majority of the governors seats in Nigeria.