Before you board a commercial airline with any of the domestic flights in the country, you should be aware of the prohibited items not allowed among your luggage or even in your possession.
These prohibited items according to the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) can either cause delay in boarding your flight, deny you or even get you arrested. If these items are caught in your possession can be confiscated by the officers or the agency in charge of inspecting luggage at the airport.
Please note that any commodity that, by its nature, could cause damage to property or injury to persons boarding a plane in the country won’t be allowed when inspected.
Below are the items that are prohibited on domestic flights in Nigeria as listed by FAAN.
These are objects , weapons, equipment that can cause injury and death to individuals when used for wrong purposes. With the exception of Hypodermic syringes with proper medical certificate.
The following sharp objects are not allowed:
- Box cutters
- Ice Picks
- Knives with blades of any length
- Paper or plastic knives
- Razor-type blades
- Scissors (Metal or Plastic)
- Knitting and crochet needle
There are some sporting objects or accessories that can also be used to cause harm and they are prohibited items that would be confiscated at the SRA or ESRA.
- Baseball bats
- Bows and arrows
- Cricket bats
- Golf clubs
- Hockey sticks
- Lacrosse sticks
- Snooker or pool cues
- Ski poles
- Spear guns
Guns & Firearms
Guns are weapons used to kill when shot. They can mortally wound or end the life of another, animal and even oneself (suicide). Firearms also are items prohibited from domestic flights in Nigeria.
Under this category, the following are not allowed:
- BB guns
- Compressed air guns
- Realistic replica guns (plastic or metal)
- Flare guns
- Gun lighters
- Gun powder
- Parts of guns or firearms
- Pallet guns
- Starter pistol
Items in this category can catch fire and are highly hazardous. Injuries flammable items cause normally lead to death and are not allowed in any flight in Nigeria as directed by FAAN.
The categories of flammable items are:
- Fuels (including cooking fuels and any flammable liquid fuel)
- Gases (Isobutylene, liquefied gas usually in lighters, butane hair curling appliances)
- Flammable Liquids (Lighters containing a reservoir of unabsorbed liquid fuel)
- Gas Torches, Gasoline Flammable Solids, Firelighters, Hexamine, Oxidising materials that react with air, Tupentine and Paint thinners strike anywhere, Matches, Realistic replicas of incendiaries.
Poisonous substances that can cause harm when ingested, sprayed or applied such as:
- Chlorine for Pools and Spas, Compressed Gas Cylinders, including fire extinguishers liquid bleach
- Poisons – Paint spray cans, warfarin (rat poison), Spillable batteries, Spray Paints, Tear Gas,
- Radioactive isotopic samples.
Self-defence Items for Martial Arts
Those engaged in martial arts and other fighting exercises will not be able to board a domestic flight with their fighting/defence accessories as they are not allowed in the SRA or ESRA.
The following defence items might be seized by the FAAN officers:
- Billy clubs
- Black jacks
- Brass knuckles
- Pepper spray/mace or other Irritant incapacitant
- Martial arts weapons
- Night sticks
- Stun Guns/Shocking Devices
- Throwing stars.
In this category, military grade blasting ballistics and other items that can explode wont be permitted at the SRA. Whatever item has the explosive or flammable symbol to indicate that it is capable of producing an explosion effect won’t be allowed.
Objects under this category include:
- Blasting Caps
- Hand grenades
- Plastic explosives
- Realistic replica of explosives
These are hard drugs of any kind or substance that can alter, affect the mood or behaviour of people which are sold for illegal or nonmedical reasons.
An exception here is unless you provide a certified documented proof from a recognized health institution which will be dully verified by the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria and other relevant agencies.